Office of Registrar & Attendance

Registrar & Attendance Staff

Belva Bush Belton, Attendance Specialist, Registrar & Homeless Liaison
 (803)635-7147  Fax (803)712-1108
The following process is required when registering a student who is new to Fairfield County Schools:
Registration Location:  Fairfield County Schools' District Office ia located at 1226 US Hwy 321 Bypass South in Winnsboro. (Office of Attendance)
Items to Bring: 
  • Student's Birth Certificate
  • Student's Immunization Record
  • Proof of Residency/2 items required (such as lease agreement, purchase contract, utility bill, voter registration card, home property tax statement)
  • Withdrawal Form from Previous School (when applicable)
  • Latest Report Card and/or Unofficial Transcript (when applicable)
  • Special Services Documents (IEP if applicable)
  • Court Documents (if applicable)
For your convenience, you may download enrollment packets and complete them before coming into the office to register your child/children.  The K-12 Packets are for all students enrolling in grades kindergarten thru 12th grade.  The student must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2017 to be eligible to enroll in kindergarten.  The CD4 Packets are for preschool children who have attained the age of 4 on or before September 1, 2017.  The CD3 Packets are for preschool children who have attained the age of 3 on or before September 1, 2017.  Information for download is listed below:

If all items are not provided at the time of registration, the student's enrollment approval could possibly be delayed.  Please contact Belva Bush Belton in the District Attendance Office at (803) 635-4607 ext. 10308 with any additional questions or concerns.

2017-2018 Enrollment Packets

 Belva Bush Belton, Homeless Liaison
The federal McKinney-Vento Act protects the rights of children and youths in homeless situations to attend and succeed in school, including preschool. The McKinney-Vento Act applies to all children and youths who do not have a fixed, regular, and adequate residence, including those who are staying with friends or relatives because they have lost their housing; or are living in emergency or transitional shelters, motels, domestic violence shelters, campgrounds, inadequate trailer parks, cars, public spaces, abandoned buildings, or bus and train stations.
The Rights of Homeless Parents and Their Children
  • Your child has the right to go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.
  • Your child has the right to stay in the school that he or she was attending before becoming homeless, if it is feasible.
  • Your child has the right to be enrolled in school immediately, even if you do not have all of the paperwork. The Liaison will assist you with getting the needed documents.
  • Your child has the right to be provided with transportation to and from school. 
If you are currently experiencing homelessness, please call my office for more information. (803) 635-4607 Ext 10308




  1. When must my child begin school in Fairfield County?  In South Carolina, children aged 5 thru 17 must go to school.  This may be a public school, private school, or home school. Parents may choose to keep their 5 year old out of kindergarten; if you decide to do so, you must sign a form stating that you are waiving the right for your child to attend kindergarten.  Fairfield County offers a full day child development program for ages three and four.  Open enrollment for Child Development is usually held during the month of February at your area's elementary school.  If students are not enrolled during this time frame, you must enroll at the District Office.
  2. Where do I go to enroll my child in school? All new student enrollments are processed and approved at the District Office.
  3. What do I need to take with me to enroll my child?  Parents will need to provide a birth certificate, immunization record, and two items of proof of residency (showing the physical address of your home).
  4. Can I be punished if I do not enroll my child in school? Yes. The law says that parents or legal guardians must send their children to school. If the school district does not have records to show  that your child is enrolled in school or regularly attending school, you will be ordered to appear in Family Court, where you may be made to pay a fine or even sent to jail for up to 30 days.
  5. My child has been sick and needs to miss school. What should I do? Always let the school know  what is going on when you child misses school. The law  states that a student may miss up to ten days a year for certain lawful reasons. These include serious illness, illness or death in the immediate family, a religious holiday, or other reason that have been pre approved by the administration.  Always send written excuses to the school.  High school students who miss excessive days may lose credit for their courses.
  6. My child has been suspended from school. What does that mean? Suspension is a short time away from class or school. It lasts no longer than 10 days for one offense and no more that 30 days for the entire year.  By law, the school must give you notice of what offense your child has committed within 3 days. If the school decides to suspend your child, you can appeal the decision to the superintendent and Board of Trustees.
  7. What is expulsion? Expulsion is when your child is sent home for the rest of the school year and cannot return.  This punishment is given only after a hearing by the school board's hearing committee. Your child will be allowed to return to school in the fall of the next school year unless he or she is expelled for bringing a gun to school.  Then, he or she can be expelled for a full calendar year. You must apply for readmission for the following school year.
  8. My child receives free lunch. Am I required to pay school fees? The law states that if your child receives free lunch, you may request that school fees be waived.  If he receives reduced lunch, he is eligible for reduced fees. This does not apply to lost or damaged books or other school district property.